Tuesday , 23 January 2018
Home » Featured Post » Muslim Brotherhood called for a march in Cairo

Muslim Brotherhood called for a march in Cairo

A day after at least 580 died during crackdown by Egypt’s Armyegypt-violenceon Friday. The Brotherhood said the planned march would set off from the Al-Iman mosque in the capital “to protest the death of their relatives”.At least 464 people were killed in Wednesday’s crackdown on the two protest camps in Cairo and subsequent nationwide violence. clashes between protesters and security forces, Egypt’s 8-egypt9-egypt-government defended its actions in the face of sweeping condemnation — insisting its troops fired in self-defense and weren’t even responsible for many of the deaths.The violence stirred world leaders, some of them longtime Egyptian allies, to sharply criticize the Cairo government for going too far in its treatment of supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsy, whom the military forced out of office several weeks ago.Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood spoke of 2,200 dead overall and more than 10,000 wounded.The violence prompted vice president and Nobel laureate Mohamed ElBaradei to resign, saying he was troubled over the loss of life, “particularly as I believe it could have been avoided”.The Brotherhood urged Egyptians to take to the streets in their thousands to denounce the “massacre”. “This is not an attempt to disperse, but a bloody attempt to crush all voices of opposition to the military coup,” spokesman Gehad al-Haddad said on Twitter.The U.N. Security Council will meet on Thursday to discuss the situation in Egypt as the United States called on its citizens to leave the country after a day of bloody violence.France, Britain and Australia called for the meeting to discuss the military-backed government’s crackdown on supporters of ousted President Mohammad Mursi.Egypt’s Health Ministry said 638 people have been killed in the violence so far.United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has condemned the crackdown, and U.N. rights chief Navi Pillay demanded that a wide-ranging probe be carried out.Earlier Thursday, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan called for an urgent Security Council meeting.“This is a very serious massacre… against the Egyptian people who were only protesting peacefully,” Erdogan said, criticizing “the silence” of the global community in the face of the bloodshed.The Security Council will be briefed behind closed doors by U.N. Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson at 5:30 p.m. EDT (2130 GMT), according to Reuters.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.